Posted: 13 January, 2021
Location: Rome (Italy)
This vacancy announcement is for five positions in the following offices/divisions at FAO Headquarters:
- Two positions in the Investment Centre (CFI) which promotes investment in food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing in developing countries and countries in transition, assisting governments and country stakeholders, main development partners, in particular international financing institutions with the strategic planning and implementation of their investments to achieve food security and nutrition, make agriculture, forestry and fisheries more sustainable and productive, reduce rural poverty, make food value chains more efficient and inclusive and promote climate change adaptation and/or mitigation. CFI is a multidisciplinary centre composed of four regionally focused services, namely Eastern, Central and Southern Africa Service, Asia and the Pacific Service, Europe and Central Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean Service, and Near East, North Africa, and West Africa Service.
- One position in the Office of the Ombudsman (OMBD)
- One position in the Land and Water Division (NSL) aims at enhancing the agricultural productivity and advancing the sustainable use of land and water resources through their improved tenure, management, development and conservation. It addresses the challenges member countries face in ensuring productive and efficient use of land and water resources in order to meet present and future demands for agricultural products, while enduring the long-term sustainability of the land and water quantity and quality. It promotes equitable access to these natural resources with a view to enhancing productivity, livelihoods and ecosystem services. It provides assistance to member nations in developing policies, programmes, best practices and tools in the fields of irrigation and drainage, soil conservation, drought mitigation, water rights, access to natural resources, and improvement of land markets
- One position in the Language Support Group, Governing Bodies Servicing Division, CSG
The Office Assistant performs a large variety of routine administrative transactions and office support functions contributing to the smooth and efficient running of the work unit.
The Office Assistant reports to one or more Professional staff and receives guidance from a higher graded Office Assistant/Executive Associate. He/she acts independently in routine matters. Supervision received is focused on the quality of the work performed and provides for on-the-job learning.
The Office Assistant usually interacts with a wide variety of colleagues within the work unit and with immediate clients within the Organization, providing routine administrative and office support services.
- Arrange appointments for the supervisor, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls and respond to routine requests for information;
- Provide office, administrative and logistics support to meetings, committees, conferences, etc.;
- Review, record, distribute and process incoming mail and correspondence; follow-up on pending actions;
- Respond or draft responses to standard/ routine correspondence and other communications; use word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports;
- Proofread documents and format texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, as well as for adherence to established standards;
- Initiate general administrative tasks in the computerized financial / travel / human resources systems;
- Make travel and hotel arrangements and prepare travel authorizations/claims for staff as required;
- Provide assistance in the administrative processing of vacancy announcements and consultants' contracts;
- Research, compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports; create spreadsheets and presentations; manage and update databases for mailing lists and other information; and maintain electronic and paper files;
- Perform other duties as required.
Impact Of Work
The incumbent's work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of office support services and on the overall output of the work unit.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary School Education
Experience: Three years of relevant experience in office support work
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English and limited knowledge (Level B) of one of the other FAO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
IT Skills: Good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
- Good knowledge of corporate computerized financial / travel / human resources systems and administrative procedures and policies
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
- For position 2008047 in OMBD: Good knowledge of the organizational structure; Experience in working with strictly confidential matters; Knowledge of dispute resolution mechanisms at FAO or other international organization; Working knowledge (Level C) of French or Spanish
- For positions 0023574/0024929 in CFI: Good knowledge of consultant recruitment and travel corporate procedures; Knowledge of CFI investment operations and partners; Working knowledge of French (Level C) would be an asset
- For position 2008258 in NSL: Good knowledge of the organizational structure; Experience in collecting and compiling data on project activities to support reporting on project delivery; Experience in providing information on project expenditures and status of project budget
- For position 2004210 in CSG: Good knowledge of the organizational structure; Thorough knowledge of work procedures in the Translation Groups
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.