Posted: 20 April, 2021
Organization: World Vision
Disaster Risk Reduction and Humanitarian Specialist
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The purpose of this position is to provide technical leadership across all WVIN’s Disaster Risk Reduction programming, and to lead the implementation of WVIN’s Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) project across all working WVIN Districts, and ensure WVIN’s annual KPIs and targets related to DRR are achieved.
The objective of the DRR project is to facilitate development and effective implementation of local disaster risk management plans to promote community-based disaster management initiatives aiming to increase the resilience of children, communities, as well as local government officials to be better prepared for and able to respond to natural hazards. The role will proactively lead on establishing and implementing capacity building plans to ensure WVIN’s Field and PNGO staff have the necessary skills and tools to implement the DRR project and to ensure the organizational capacity to respond the local level disaster. Similarly, the role is responsible for developing all tools, templates, protocols and resources necessary for WVIN’s Field staff and PNGOs to effectively implement the DRR project, mainstream DRR into sector programs, and achieve the organisation’s DRR KPIs. The role is also responsible for contributing to project design and resource acquisition to expand WVIN’s DRR work. The DRR and Humanitarian Specialist position will also manage relationships with external DRR partners/networks and works in close coordination with the government and stakeholders and WVIN field offices.
- Provide project management and implementation oversight for the DRR project and all DRR activities cross-cutting across other sector projects under implementation across WVIN Field Offices;
- Facilitate DRR Project phase in, phase out, transition and sustainability planning; Orient partner and any field staff on all components of the WVIN DRR Project design and minimum standards;
- Coordinate with field team to ensure DRR Project activities implemented by 100% according to plan;
- Work with field team to ensure DRR Project budgeting, details implementation plan, and operational strategy are in place, up to date and effective and approved in line with project strategy and are clearly communicated to Field Offices and partners;
- Ensure quality project planning and set up a monthly progress tracker of the project
- Field teams are clarified on nature of this project, reporting process, quality and timeline;
- Ensure implementing NGO partner is equipped with resources to deliver the project objectives;
- Cooperate and provide assistance to the consultants hired under the project;
- Timely in-field monitoring and supervision of activities are taken place;
- Ensure and monitor the allocation of resources in the most efficient and cost effective way while aiming for the highest quality of implementation;
- Monitor on monthly basis actual expenditures and compare them with the implementation model, budget requirements, review the budget if needed with the Finance team and other stakeholders who are implementing the project;
- Ensure the visibility standards of WVIN and donor are met;
- During activity implementation, conduct periodic quality monitoring visits to project sights to assess whether activities are being done to the required standards.
- Develop and maintain the tracking tools to measure and monitor progress of all protection related activities across all APs;
- Coordinate with Field staff to ensure PNGOs effectively nurture and manage WVIN’s relationships with district and municipal DRR related government bodies, networks and development partners, building and exercising influence to achieve WVIN’s advocacy target outcomes.
- Lead on implementation of Child Protection Policy and Child Safe Organization practices across DRR project activities
- Develop and implement field capacity building plan to ensure WVIN field staff and PNGOs are equipped to implement DRR project activities and achieve the targets. Measure, track and report on field level technical competencies/capacity;
- Train, mentor, coach and provide regular on-going advice to field staff to build capacity to implement quality DRR programming and successfully reach the most marginalized groups through WVIN programming;
- Provide support to the field manager and the partner PNGO for the preposition on organizational capacity building on disaster management.
- Provide in-field support for Field Offices during key events to strengthen programming quality and results;
- Work with Programme Readiness and Integration Manager and coordinate across Field and Partner staff to ensure the development and regular use of all technical tools necessary for the successful implementation of the DRR project– including implementation guideline, quality benchmark, training materials, training curriculum, information materials, BCC materials and other resources;
- Develop and deliver training and capacity building for field staff to ensure adequate competencies at field/partner level to deliver all necessary components of the education projects to ensure project targets achieved;
- Sharing of lessons learnt and best practices from major activities implemented;
- Lead to review, development and design of DRR Technical Program, project models, and new projects
- Communicate with Field staff and PNGOs to ensure they understand project compliance requirements and audit results and that all staffs understand the project compliance system and follow it accordingly
- Develop and lead to apply DRR integration framework in the sectors as cross cutting theme to contribute on quality programming
- Lead and facilitate on proposal writing to incorporate DRM scope
- Gather needful data, statistics and information to solidify evidence for capability statement and other policy briefs
- Coordinate with Grant Acquisition Team to scope out calls pipeline
- Provide information and data to the relevant stakeholders relating to DRM
- Review, reflect and facilitate in taking action on the learning and gaps regularly
- Develop strategic relationship and partnership with key stakeholders
- Interact, build and nurture effective working relationships with relevant GO/NGOs, Agencies, and Civil Society Organizations in order to foster, strong networking, coordination, collaboration and partnership at national level for DRR
- Serve as a resource person for disseminating knowledge and skills to GO/NGO and other institutions for WVIN profiling
- Establish adequate referral linkage of project target groups with the appropriate service providers, policy makers and other stakeholders
- Design and implement advocacy actions plan to influence local government and stakeholders
- Educate on the project specific advocacy issues and plans to partnering I/NGOs and other relevant stakeholders
- Organizational values and strategic priorities, branding and positioning of World Vision are strengthened
- Develop the follow up actions plans on the organizational capacity building that has been indicated by the DM scorecard
- Facilitate the DM scorecard process across the department and finalize every year before June
- Organize the information on the response activities and assist Programme Readiness & Integration Manager on the DDG calls
- Work with the Field Manager to manage the response activities to ensure the response project is implemented within time, cost and scopes
- Quality monthly, quarterly, annual and other progress and financial reports are produced and submitted and documented in time aligning with project design and donor requirement;
- Develop progress reports as and when required;
- Maintain database management in Horizon for Projects as per requirement;
- Qualitative reporting and implementations models ensured;
- Collect evidences of good practices of DRM on a regular basis and share with the project team
EDUCATION, ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Disaster Management or any DRR related discipline (preferred Masters) with at least 5 years (for those with Master degree) of field experience in managing DRR related projects or programming in the field or headquarters of a major NGO, INGO, or government department.
- Familiarity with development theory, community-based disaster management, DRM frameworks; Vulnerability and Capacity Assessment.
- Strong experience and recognized expertise in models and methods of training, facilitation and capacity building, and organizational development for staff and communities.
- Experience in the preparation of teaching material and tools.
- Competent in the use of MS Office, social media and web platforms.
- High level of practical knowledge on local disaster risk management planning process.
- Practical knowledge in Community Based Disaster Risk Management. Good media relations and advocacy skills.
- Strong interpersonal, networking, coordination and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and Nepali. Good presentation and communication skills.
- Ready to take initiatives and willing to work under pressure and exhibit a high level of flexibility
- Hold a high level of integrity and honesty, self-motivated, confident, and able to work independently
- Committed to World Vision Ethos, Mission, Vision and Core values
Extensive travel to field is expected in a monthly basis to observe progress of the project activities, coordinate with the stakeholders and to facilitate the project team for an effective implementation of the project activities
Full adherence to World Vision Child Protection & Adult Safeguuarding, Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policies.
World Vision International Nepal is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourage candidates of diverse background, women and differently abled, to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be called for the subsequent selection procedure. WVIN reserves all rights to qualify/ disqualify applications in any case.